Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Silver Tooth

Both kids visited the dentist for the first time at 3 years old, and they've gone every six months since.  So far, we've gotten nothing but good news.  Daddy is quite the teeth nazi at our house.  The kids brush, floss, and use mouthwash every night before bed.  Unfortunately, Campbell has inherited my DNA...my bad teeth genes.  When I was a kid, I had a cavity almost every time I went to the dentist despite brushing my teeth multiple times a day.  My brother, on the other hand, NEVER brushed his teeth and NEVER had a cavity.  So not fair!  I digress... We were surprised to learn that Campbell had five cavities at his last dentist appointment.  Five!  He had to have four white fillings and one silver cap.   Poor baby!  The dentist wanted to sedate him with an oral medication along with nitrous oxide (laughing gas), which we agreed would be best since he cried throughout his cleaning.  

On the day of his appointment, we had to arrive an hour early so that he could take the medicine.  If it were only that easy!  It took three adults to get the medicine in him, and we lost some along the way. He spit some out, drooled some out, and threw some up.  All while SCREAMING and CRYING!!!  When they took him back an hour later, the dental assistant told me they may not be able to do all of the   work that needed to be done because he didn't take all of the medicine.  I hoped she was wrong, because I definitely didn't want to do that again!  Thankfully, after two hours, they brought Campbell out and had done ALL of the fillings!  He did so well, but started crying as soon as he saw me.  I still had to pay (major dent in the checkbook, by the way) and schedule his next appointment.  He cried uncontrollablly until we pulled out of the parking lot, and then was asleep within minutes.  He slept the whole way home (about 30 minutes) then rested on the couch for a couple of hours.  He was back to his old self that evening!  

Campbell was upset to learn that he had cavities, but I assured him that it was ok, and that momma has had plenty of them too.  He has willingly accepted our restrictions to sugary foods and drinks, and wants to brush his teeth more often.  He's proud of his silver tooth and says he doesn't want it to ever fall out.  He's definitely a trooper!  

Here are some pictures of our handsome little guy a few weeks after getting his silver tooth:





No comments: