Sunday, August 31, 2008

Remembering Nana

Doris Elda Bruner
October 9, 1930 - July 2, 2008
  • My earliest memory of Nana was when I was three years old (actually one day short of turning three.) We were at the hospital awaiting the birth of my baby brother. I was sitting in the waiting room with Nana and Paw-Paw. I still remember playing with her sunglasses when a loud alarm sounded. I was so startled that I dropped the glasses. That's all I remember. I don't remember anything else about that day (like meeting my brother) or the next day (my birthday.)
  • For as long as I can remember Nana called me "Messy Jessie." Everytime I went to her house I played with her make-up and made a big mess out of it. I'm sure there were other things that I got into as well.
  • Nana and Paw-Paw lived in the country and had a huge garden full of vegetables. Nana loved to work in the garden and prepare the vegetables to eat or can. She made some mean green beans!
  • She was one crafty lady! Nana could sew - she made clothes for me and always hemmed or mended our clothes. She could quilt - I still have several quilts that she made for me. My favorite is one that she stiched an outline of her hand on the back and the words, "I love you Jenn, Love Nana." She also crocheted and did embrodiary. I'm telling you - she was talented.
  • She always drank Pepsi. At some point she changed to Diet Pepsi, but she always had the glass bottles of it in her fridge and was glad to share.
  • She loved to play Solitaire and Yahtzee. Paw-Paw always went to bed before anyone else because he had to get up very early to go to work. Nana lined the Yahtzee cup with felt and we put a towel on the table so that the dice wouldn't wake him. Nana, Kim, and I would play Yahtzee until all hours of the night!
  • Funny story. Nana has not always been Nana. You see, I am the third grandchild. My cousins before called her Granny. When I came along I called her Nana. Noone knows why. For about 6 years she was both. Then the other cousins converted and she became Nana to all!
  • All the way from elementary school to high school, Nana was my saving grace. She brought me lunch money when I forgot it. She picked me up from school when I was sick. She ate with me during the Thanksgiving feasts because both of my parents were at work. She took me to school when I missed the bus. She attended my Kiwanas basketball games, junior high volleyball games, and high school tennis matches. She made so many sacrifices on my behalf I can't even count them all. I am thankful.

There are so many things that I remember about Nana - so many more than will fit here. What I will remember most about her was the way she loved me. She loved me unconditionally and I knew it. I also love that she loved my husband. And Bailey. She and Paw-Paw both called her "my girl." Nana only saw Campbell twice and I'm pretty sure she was unaware of their second meeting, but I know she loved him. She got to hold him and kiss him and for that I am thankful. I miss her terribly but it brings great joy to my heart to know that she is reunited with Paw-Paw and that they are both in heaven with Jesus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet, she sounds like a wonderful grandmother.

Walter and Kim said...

My heart ached as I read your post "Remembering Nana" and it has taken me some time before I could even comment on the post. There have been days that I just didn't think I was gonna make it without Nana & Paw Paw because I miss them so much, they were so much a part of my life for so long that I am truly lost without them. But by the grace of God, I manage to continue one day at a time.

A few other memories I can add to what you have is: Since Kenny was born the day before your birthday, you were so worried that was gonna cause your birthday party to be cancelled...it didn't! You used to always come to our house when I was living at home with Nana & Paw Paw and generally go home with something of mine compliments of Nana, not knowing if it was my prize possession or something I didn't need anymore - made for many laughs.

As Grandparents Day passed this last weekend, I thought about you and how you were always good about sending Nana & Paw Paw cards for holidays. I bet they had their bet Grandparents Day yet in Heaven rejoicing with God!

I love you and appreciate your sharing this blog!!

Aunt Kim

Walter and Kim said...

I had to re-visit this one just to see our precious little Angels!! I miss them so much!!